POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RE : My first picture with media (Hopefully it is now uploaded ...) : Re: RE : My first picture with media (Hopefully it is now uploaded ...) Server Time
3 Oct 2024 06:27:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: RE : My first picture with media (Hopefully it is now uploaded ...)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 1 Mar 2000 17:50:36
Message: <38bd9ebc@news.povray.org>
It could be that the 'samples' and/or 'intervals' need to be increased.  When
the intensity is lower the granularity might be showing up more and that's what
you are seeing then.  If the media is smooth everywhere but certain places, like
shadow edges, then almost certainly it's those parameters which need to be
raised.  It doesn't have anything to do with the lights themselves, except the
more you have then the more sorting out that has to be done, but that's nothing
to do with 'falloff' values.
All I knew before was that 'ratio' in the media is meant to make changes to the
light edges, if it does indeed affect the falling off of light too then I never
knew that before.  And if so it might need to be set lower (default is 0.9).  It
does say in the help that it's lit to unlit ratio.  I just got it into my mind
that meant edge of the light cone (or cylinder).

Bob